Sunday 25 September 2011

California, Day 5

My original plan for Wednesday had been to head for a boat tour to Alcatraz, but by the time I got round to actually booking it it was sold out. I decided instead to go for a boat cruise around the San Francisco bay; but given the busy few days I'd had previously I took things easy and was in no rush.

I left the house about 11:30 and headed out to get some lunch, with the intention of going on a boat trip in the afternoon. I decided to head to the Castro for lunch, using the Muni Metro.

However, when I got to the metro station at Civic Center it was clear that not all was going to plan; in 15 minutes only one train went by, but that was going along the N line, and I needed either K, L or M. After 15 minutes an L train turned up, but then they announced they were experiencing "outbound delays due to technical difficulties".

After a couple of minutes of being held in the station, we proceeded to the next station, Van Ness. At Van Ness we sat for a while longer, and I considered going up to street level to catch the F instead to the same destination. After six minutes I finally decided to get off, whereupon my impatience was duly rewarded with the train's immediate departure. That'll teach me. 

So, having gone up to street level, I caught another historic streetcar, this one from Birmingham (I presume it meant Alabama, not the West Midlands); I rode the F from Van Ness to Castro and 17th, the line's terminus.

The Castro is a district of much culture and history; in 1977 it made history by electing Harvey Milk to the board of supervisors (essentially the city council), who thus became the first openly gay man elected to public office anywhere in the United States (and possibly the world). Tragically, he was shot dead a year later, as was Mayor Moscone, by Dan White, one of Milk's fellow supervisors.

The district today is a bastion of local culture, and I enjoyed a lingering lunch in Harvey's, a local restaurant at the intersection of 18th and Castro named in Milk's honour, while watching the world go by.

Eventually I headed back towards the waterfront, taking the metro line T from Castro to Embarcadero, from where I took a short walk to catch the F from Ferry Plaza to Fisherman's Wharf.

As I said my original plan had been to take a boat to Alcatraz and look around "The Rock", the infamous prison island dotted in the middle of San Francisco Bay. As it was, partly due to my forgetting and partly due to not being all that fussed about doing it at all, I failed to book in time they had sold out.

This being my last full day in San Francisco, I didn't have another opportunity to go on a boat, so I decided instead to head on a one-hour cruise around the bay with Blue and Gold Ferries. For $25, we were taken under the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcatraz, and back alongside the Wharf.

The Golden Gate Bridge was, as is quite usual, shrouded in some fog but the visibility was better than Monday and we actually got a pretty good view of the bridge; the southern end was again covered in fog but the view to the northern end was clear enough when we got up close to see quite a lot of Marin County.

On the return from the Golden Gate Bridge we passed Alcatraz, which was originally inhabited in 1858 as a military base overseeing the bay; but the officers hated its remoteness and it was converted first to a military prison and then eventually into a federal penitentiary. There were only about 300 cells on the island, and the prison was reserved for the worst offenders only, eventually closing in 1963.

It's difficult to explain how remote Alcatraz feels, in spite of - or perhaps because? - its position only 1.5 miles offshore. The island is now a national historic landmark, and tours around the jails are apparently very interesting, if rather touristy.

After an hour at sea - where it was pretty windy, but still sunny enough to sunburn my cheeks - we landed back at Pier 39, and I had an ice-cream before heading back to Ferry Plaza on the F, this time on a streetcar from Philadelphia.

By now I'd been on almost all the types of public transport in San Francisco, except one: the trolleybuses. Most of the major bus lines have electric wires overhead, just like trams, and electric buses run along the streets (on normal tyres) powered by their connection to the overhead electric wires.

I thus decided to forgo the F at Ferry Plaza and get a #21 from Ferry Plaza to Market and 7th. It was an odd sensation being on what was quite obviously a bus but without the inevitable diesel engine sounds and smells: the quiet hum sounded so like a tram that it was hard to believe that underneath us were rubber tyres, not steel rails. But tyres they were, and I got off at Market and 7th to head to a shop and get some milk.

In my search for a shop I chanced upon the United Nations Plaza, which forms the centrepoint of the city's municipal buildings. On June 26th, 1945, the treaty establishing the United Nations was signed in San Francisco, and the plaza commemorating this was inaugurated in 1975.

Engraved in the ground is the full text of the preamble to the Charter of the United Nations: "We, the peoples of the United Nations, determined to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war... do hereby establish an international organisation to be known as the United Nations."

After a quiet dinner, Robert, Charlie and I watched Rushmore, a 1998 film directed by Wes Anderson, in which an eccentric teenager, Max, and a rich industrialist, Herman (played by Bill Murray), become friends and vie for the love of an elementary school teacher, Rosemary Cross. The film is hilarious and very well-directed, and made for an interesting evening's entertainment. I eventually headed to bed for my last night's sleep in San Francisco, before flying to Los Angeles on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment